VITAL RECORDS

of

FRANKLIN COUNTY

MASSACHUSETTS


     These towns have no published vital records. For possible records, see the records of the parent town(s), where available.
     Some historical information is given for each town. This information comes from Historical Data relating to Counties, cities and Towns in Massachusetts by William Francis Galvin, Secretary of the Commonwealth. Published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS), 1997.

     Bernardston was founded in 1762 and had no parent town. It was previously called Falltown Plantaion and Falls Flight.
     No records have been published for Bernardston. Some records are in the Corbin Collection and may also be availlable from Archive Publishing.
  • Established as a town by St 1761-1762, c 42.
  • March 6, 1762 - established as a town, formerly the new plantation called "Falltown". (Prov. laws, Vol. IV, p. 530.)
  • December 2, 1779 - part annexed to Colrain.
  • March 12, 1784 - part established as the district of Leyden.
  • April 14, 1838 - part of Greenfield annexed.
  • May 7, 1886 - part of Leyden annexed upon acceptance by the town.
  • June 7, 1886 - Act of may 7, 1886, accepted.
     Erving was founded in 1838 and it had no parent town.
     Some of the records are available at Archive Publishing.
  • Incorporated as a town by St 1838, c 139.
  • April 17, 1838 - incorporated as a town, formerly the tract of land called "Erving's Grant."
  • February 27, 1841 - bounds between Evring and Orange established.
  • February 10, 1860 - part of Northfield called "Hack's Grant" annexed.
     Hawley was founded in 1792 and had no parent town. It was formerly known as Number 7 Plantation.
     The History of the Town of Hawley ... contains vital records and will be added the the MA Vital Records Project in the future. The book may be found at Google Books.

     Leverett was founded in 1774 and its parent town was Sunderland.
     The records have not been published. Some records are in the Corbin Collection and also from Archive Publishing.
  • Incorporated as a town by St 1773-1774, c. 19.
  • March 5, 1774 - incorporated as a town from part of Sunderland. (Prov. Laws, Vol. V, p. 327.)
     Leyden was founded in 1784 and its parent town was Bernardston. It was also known as Beaver Hill, East Hill, Leyden Center, South Leyden, and West Leyden.
     No vital records have been published for Leyden. Some of the records are available from Archive Publishing.
  • Incorporated as a town by St 1809, c 135.
  • March 12, 1784 - established as a district by the name of Leyden, from part of Bernardston.
  • February 22, 1809 - incorporated as a town, formerly district of Leyden.
  • May 7, 1886 - part annexed to Bernardston upon acceptance of the act by Bernardston.
  • June 7, 1886 - Act of May 7, 1886, accepted by Bernardston.
  • Aprl 24, 1911 - bounds between Leyden and Colrain established.
     Monroe was founded in 1822 and its parent towns were Rowe and The Gore.
     Some of the records are available from Archive Publishing.
  • Incorporated as a town by St 1821, c 93.
  • February 21, 1822 - incorporated as a town from part of Rowe and land called "the Gore."
     Northfield was founded in 1714 and its had no parent town. It was formerly known as Squakeag.
     The records have not been published. Some records are in the Corbin Collection and from Archive Publishing.
  • Made a town by St 1775-1776, c 3.
  • February 22, 1714 - the grant for a plantation at "Squakeag" revived and "... the Town to be named Northfield ..." (Prov. Laws, Vol. XXI, p. 840.)
  • June 10, 1715 - Act of February 22, 1714, continued for three years.
  • December 6, 1720 - committee appointed to manage the affairs of Northfield continued for two years.
  • June 15, 1723 - to enjoy all the privileges of a town.
  • June 29, 1773 - two tracts of land annexed.
  • February 28, 1795 - part annexed to Gill.
  • February 10, 1860 - part called "Hack's Grant" annexed to Erving.
     Orange was founded in 1783 and its parent towns were Athol, Royalston, Warwick and Ervingshire tract Eastham.
     Some of the records are available from Archive Publishing. There are some records, source unknown, that will be transcribed later.
  • Incorporated as a town by St 1809, c 59.
  • October 15, 1783 - established as a district by the name of Orange from parts of Athol, Royalston, Warwick, and a tract of land called "Ervingshire".
  • February 24, 1810 - incorporated as a town, formerly the district of Orange.
  • February 7, 1816 - part annexed to Athol.
  • March 16, 1837 - part of "Erving's Grant" annexed.
  • March 16, 1837 - part of New Salem annexed.
  • February 27, 1841 - bounds between Orange and Erving established.
     Rowe was founded in 1785 and had no parent town.
     The records have not been published. Some records are available in the Corbin Collection and at Archive Publishing.
  • Incorporated as a town by St 1784, c 34.
  • February 9, 1785 - incorporated as a town, from land called " Myrifield" and lands adjoining.
  • February 21, 1822 - part included in the new town of Monroe.
  • April 2, 1838 - part of unincorporated land called "Zoar" annexed.
     Shutesbury was founded in 1761 and had no parent town. It was formerly known as Roadtown.
     The records have not been published. Some records are available in the Corbin Collection and at Archive Publishing.
  • Established as a town by St 1761-1762, c 8.
  • June 30, 1761 - established as a town, formerly the plantation called "Roadtown". (Prov. Laws, Vol. IV, p.464.)
  • May 8, 1781 - part included in the new town of Wendell.
  • February 20, 1824 - part annexec to New Salem.
     Sunderland was founded in 1714 and had no parent town. It was formerly known as Swampfield.
     The records have not been published. Some records are available in the Corbin Collection and at Archive Publishing.
  • Swampfield established as a town by St 1713-1714, c 149.
  • May 7, 1673 - inhabitants of hadley granted land for a plantation. (Mass. Bay Rec., Vol IV, part 2, p.557.)
  • February 17, 1714 - established as a town, reviving the grant of May 1673 for a plantation, and "... The Town to be Named Swampfield." (Prov. Laws, Vol. XXI p. 839.)
  • November 12, 1718 - the committee managing the affairs of Swampfield discharged "... and that the Name of the said Town be hence forward called Sunderland..." (Prov. Laws, Vol. IX, p. 621.)
  • August 28, 1729 - land granted to Sunderland.
  • January 2, 1740 - bounds between Sunderland and Hadley established.
  • January 25, 1754 - part established as the district of Montague.
  • March 5, 1774 - part established as Leverett.
     Warwick was founded in 1763 and it had no parent town. It was formerly known as Gardner's Township, Mount Grace, Roxbury Canada Plantation.
     The records have not been published. Some records are available in the Corbin Collection and at Archive Publishing.
  • Established as a town by St 1762-1763, c 17.
  • February 17, 1763 - established as a town, formerly the plantation "called ... Roxbury-Canada ... with sundry farms lying therein ... belonging to this provence ..." (Prov. Laws, Vol. IV p. 604.)
  • October 15, 1783 - part included in the new town of Orange.
     Wendell was founded in 1781 and its parent towns were Shutesbury and Ervingshire.
     Some of the records are available Archive Publishing.
  • Incorporated as a town by St 1780, c 35.
  • May 8, 1781 - incorporated as a town, from part of Shutesbury and certain land called "Ervingshire."
  • February 28, 1803 - part of Montague and a gore of land annexed.
     Whately founded 1771.
     The "History of Whately" contains genealogies of the early settlers. This will be transcribed later.


Footnotes
 
     The Corbin Collection: Genealogical and Historical Material Relating to Central and Western Massachusetts, 1650-1850 includes vital and other records for about 80 towns in Franklin, Hampshire and Hampden counties and some other towns. The original Corbin Collection records are at the New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston. These have been put on CD-ROM and can be purchased from NEHGS. Some libraries have these or the microfilm.
     Archive Publishing, also known as the Holbrook Institute, has the vital records, town records and many other records on microfiche.


Copyright 2005-'11 by
John Slaughter
Last Updated: 14 September, 2011