This town was the northwest part of Rutland original grant. A division was made in 1749, an it was then called Rutland District. This was incorporated as a town June 17, 1774, with the name of Hutchinson, which was changed to Barre, Nov. 7, 1776.
The population of Barre at different periods was as follows:
The Massachusetts Vital Records Project