The territory comprised within the limits of this town was originally a part of Billerica, and was established Dec. 17, 1734 as the town of Tewksbury. It is supposed to have derived its English name from Tewksbury in the County of Gloucester, England. The Indian name was Wamesit, from the tribe of that name whose camping ground was in this locality.

A part of Tewksbury was annexed to Lowell Mar. 29, 1834.

The population of Tewksbury at different periods was as follows:

1765 781   1810 943   1840 906

MA VRs Project
Copyright 2005-'18
The Massachusetts Vital Records Project

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Valid CSS 2.1